【】

An Ohio prosecutor announced on Monday afternoon that there would be no charges against the mother of the boy who fell into the gorilla exhibit at the Cincinnati Zoo Memorial Day weekend, an incident which caused officials to shoot and kill Harambe, a 17-year-old gorilla.
SEE ALSO:Vigil held for gorilla killed at Cincinnati ZooDuring a press conference on Monday, Hamilton County prosecutor Joe Deters said, "By all accounts, this mother did not act in any way where she presented this child to some harm. She had three other kids with her and turned her back. I've received dozens of emails about this case and if anyone doesn't believe a 3-year-old can scamper off very quickly, they've never had kids."
According to the Cincinnati Enquirer, the boy's mother, Michelle Gregg, took her four children to the zoo on May 28: the boy, 3, and his three sisters, ages 7, 4, and 1.
After Deters' announcement, the family also issued a statement, saying:
"The family is very pleased with this decision; it is what we expected. This is one more step in allowing us to put this tragic episode behind us and return to our normal family life. We extend thanks to all of those who have been praying for us and who have supported us through this trying ordeal and praise to God for His mercy and grace."
While mourners honored Harambe with a vigil on Memorial Day, reaction to both the mother and the zoo's decision to shoot and kill Harambe have been harsh. Animal rights activists have used the incident to elevate their message opposing zoos while social media has been active with criticism of the Greggs.
The zoo has defended its actions, saying it was the first such breach in Gorilla World's 38 years of existence. The exhibit will reopen Tuesday with a higher, reinforced barrier.
While reaction to Monday's announcement on social media has been more muted compared to previous days, it was still filled with criticism of the mother, including a petition for Child Protective Services to intervene that has amassed over 60,000 signatures.
Tweet may have been deleted
Tweet may have been deleted
Legal experts previously told the Associated Press that prosecution on child endangerment or similar charges seems unlikely.
Additional reporting by the Associated Press.
Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.
相关文章
How Hyperloop One went off the rails
In December 2014, an engineer with the unlikely name Brogan BamBrogan was in the driveway of his cla2025-04-03Hostess is bringing deep fried Twinkies to a Walmart near you
Sound the trumpets. Prepare the fatted calf. Ready the arteries. Deep-fried Twinkies are headed to W2025-04-03Jo Cox murder suspect gives name as 'Death to traitors' in court
LONDON -- The suspect in the murder of Labour MP Jo Cox said, "Death to traitors, freedom for Britai2025-04-03The world pays respects to Muhammad Ali: 'He dared to affirm the beauty of blackness'
The memorial service for "the people's champ" got off to a start worthy of the crowd at a title figh2025-04-03Tributes flow after death of former Singapore president S.R. Nathan
The Singaporean government has announced that former president, 92-year-old Sellapan Ramanathan (wid2025-04-03The terrible, awful, no good, very bad newspaper industry
Paper bad. TV good. Platforms dominant.That's the overarching message of the Pew Research Center's "2025-04-03
最新评论